Tgif - Version 4.2 Patchlevel 3 Release Notes
This patch is kind of large in size.
Some new features were made available in this patch because
it was difficult to take them out.
Version 4.2 Patchlevel 3
Added Features/Bug Fixes
- Fix a bug with pasting garbage characters from Windows under cygwin.
This used to cause file corruption.
- Fix a bug with double-byte characters or international characters when
eglibc is used. Thanks to Gunter Frenz <guefz at freenet.de>,
Hiroshi TSUTSUI <tsutsui at easter.kuee.kyoto-u.ac.jp>, and Klaus Koepernik
<K.Koepernik at ifw-dresden.de> for pointing out the problem and
Hiroshi TSUTSUI <tsutsui at easter.kuee.kyoto-u.ac.jp> for the patch.
- Allow Tgif.EnableTrueColorImages to be set to "true" only if tgif is
compiled with zlib support. Also, starting with this version, if one has a
TrueColor display, Tgif.EnableTrueColorImages is set to "true" by default.
- Add support a new built-in double-byte input method, tgchgb, to support the
input of gb2312 encoded simplified Chinese characters using a graphical
zhu-yin-fu-hao keypad (would also accept pinyin directly). This input
method is activated by typing <Cntrl><Space> when a double-byte chinese font
is selected. On Windows systems, <Cntrl><Space> may be used by a Windows
input method. If this is the case, one should type <Cntrl><Shift><Space>
- Allow Flood Fill and Replace Color to use a threshold value. Add new
X defaults, Tgif.EnableThresholdFloodReplaceColor and
Tgif.FloodReplaceColorThreshold to set default values for this feature.
- Better support for transparent pixels for X11 pixmap objects.
- Add -D_NO_LOCALE_SUPPORT to CFLAGS in Makefile.am so that, by default,
tgif will be compiled without locale support if the configure script is
used to build tgif.
- Add a new X default, Tgif.NoOrientationIfPdfSetPageDevice, so that
the "%%Orientation:" line is not used in the PostScript file if
"setpagedevice" is active when exporting a PS/EPS/PDF file.
- Add "eq4-2x-nowin-jpg.sym" to be used instead of "eq4-2x-jpg.sym" to run
silently (i.e., no popup window). This should get around the problem that
on cygwin, sometimes a popup window will not close by itself.
- Add new X defaults, Tgif.PNGExportHasTransparentColor,
Tgif.PNGExportTransparentColor, and Tgif.PpmToPngWithTransparentColor
to suppor the generation of transparent PNG files.
- Add new X defaults, Tgif.UseStdPalette8, Tgif.UseStdPalette27,
Tgif.UseOpenOfficeGalaxyPalette, and Tgif.UseOpenOfficeGooglePalette
to use a standard 8-color, 27-color, 64-color, 216-color, 53-color, and
80-color palette as the startup colors for tgif. Also added
Tgif.AdditionalColors to take effect if any of these X defaults are used.
- Add a new X default, Tgif.DefaultColor, so that the default tgif color
can be specified using a color name.
- Obsolete the Tgif.DeleteCmdAsCut X default. Now Cntrl+x is bound to the
Cut command. To delete something without cutting it into the cut buffer,
one can use the <Delete> key on the keyboard or select Delete from the
- Fix a license problem. The files, "nkf.c", "chinput.c", and "cli_xcin.c"
do not have compatible license with the QPL license. Therefore, starting
with this release, they will be removed (and replaced by empty files) from
the QPL distribution of tgif (and -D_NO_NKF -D_NO_CHINPUT -D_NO_XCIN must
be used in MISCDEFINES in Tgif.tmpl to avoid compiler errors). These files
will only be available in the free-of-charge distribution of tgif.
Thanks to Carlo U. Segre <segre at iit.edu> for pointing out the problem.